Building a 6 GPU Ethereum mining rig is a rewarding project. Here in this guide, we will walk you through selecting the best Ethereum mining hardware, assembling the parts, and configuring the software to get your very own Ethereum mining rig up and running. It should take you about three hours to assemble this mining rig. At the time this post was updated (6/14/2017) this mining rig should generate over $1,000/mo in Ethereum cryptocurrency. You can see the current mining profitability using this handy calculator.
Sidenote: If mining isn’t your thing, and you are just interested in purchasing some cryptocurrency as part of your investment portfolio, I personally use and recommend Coinbase (they give you $10 when you use that link to purchase your first $100 of Bitcoin). I would also recommend keeping your coins safe using the Ledger Nano S hardware wallet, since even the best crypto exchanges can be hacked through a variety of methods. OK, with that out of the way, onward to the build guide…
6 GPU Ethereum Mining Hardware Build List
Listed below is the hardware you will need to purchase and assemble. Basically, you are building a custom open-frame PC, but instead of one or two graphics cards (as you would find in a gaming computer), you will be adding SIX to the build requiring riser cables and a frame as shown in the photo.
Quick Build List:
- 1x 1200 Watt Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W 80 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 80
- 1x 6 GPU Motherboard | Asus Z270-P
- 1x Intel Celeron G3900 Dual-core | Intel Dual Core CPU
- 1x 4 GB RAM (system memory) (or Kingston ValueRAM 8GB Kit (2x4GB))
- 6x Nvidia GTX 1070 GPU’s (6 of these, I like EVGA and Gigabyte or PNY, MSI) (Higher BitClock better)
- 6x USB Riser Cables (6 pack)
- 1x Solid State Drive 60GB or 120GB enough (for OS / mining software)
- 1x Open Air 6 GPU Mining Case
- Eth OS or Windows 10 (depending on your preference and setup)
- Monitor, Mouse and Keyboard (only needed for setup)
A more detailed explanation of each component continues below:
Power Supply – 1200 Watt Power Supply – The key here is to have an efficient 1200 watt modular power supply that will save you over the long run in electricity costs. Look for Gold or Platinum rated (as opposed to silver or bronze). This is the industry standard for rating the efficiency of a computer’s power supply unit (PSU).
Motherboard/CPU Combination – What is the best motherboard for mining Ethereum? I’ve listed below my favorite motherboard and processor combo that is compatible with 6 video cards. This is the ethereum mining motherboard that is used in large scale mining deployments. If the pros use it, you know it’s good.
6x Graphics Cards (GPUs) – Nvidia GTX 1070 GPU’s – The very efficient Nvidia GTX 1070 can produce 30Mh/s using only 100 watts of electricity. It is much more power efficient than the other GPU’s in this list. Anyd of the twin fan overclocked Gigabyte or EVGA cards work great out of the box.
RAM (System Memory) – 4 GB RAM – You don’t need a lot of system memory to mine ethereum effectively. 4GB is about as small as a stick of RAM comes these days, so I recommend just picking up a cheap one for about $20.
USB Riser Cables – (6 pack) USB Riser Cables – These are to connect the 6 graphics cards to the motherboard and allow spacing between cards for heat dissipation. These are necessary when building a rig with this many GPU’s.
1x Hard Drive (SSD) – Solid State Drive for installing operating system and your mining software. 1x Custom Mining Case – I’d recommend this Open Air 6 GPU Mining Case, if you’d rather not build one yourself. I’ve built several of these 6 GPU rigs for family and friends and prefer to just buy the model I linked to, just to save time.
Operating System – Eth OS ethOS is a free 64-bit linux OS that mines Ethereum, Zcash, Monero, and other GPU-minable coins. If you are using the Nvidia 1070 GPU’s I recommend mining on Windows 10, since Eth OS has some driver issues with Nvidia cards.
Monitor, Mouse and Keyboard to configure all the software settings, initially.
You can see at the below example cart, it costs about 3729$ all for owning this 6 GPUs alt coins mining rig. (You can save 50$ if this is the first time buying with Amazon)
Assembling the Custom Ethereum Mining Hardware
- Un-package everything
- Build / assemble Open Air 6 GPU Mining Case
- Install processor and RAM on motherboard
- Plug in all riser cables
- Place motherboard in custom open air mining rig case and connect motherboard PSU connector (leaving PSU unplugged from the wall of course)
- Plug in SATA hard drive (or optional Linux on USB stick)
- Connect all GPUs to riser cables and fasten them to custom case. You might need to experiment for optimal spacing to keep the cards cool.
- Plug in all power supply connections.
- Connect mouse, monitor and keyboard and an internet connection (I use a USB WiFi adapter)
- Check all connections once more
- Fire it up! Install ETH OS.
- Make sure fans are fully functional. Start the mining software, tweak settings for maximum hash rates and let it run!
Congratulations! You are now the proud operator of your very own custom built 6 GPUs Ethereum/Ethereum Classic and many other alt coins mining rig.